In You, Lord, may I find contentment
So let's get real, I have been struggling lately my whole life to be content. Content in my bank account, content in my job, content in relationships, content in my relationship status, content with my "stuff". Lately some of these have been ringing more true than ever.
On my puny run today God really spoke to me about my heart to pursue Him. Honestly, I have not spent much, if any time pursuing Christ lately. I have been distracted by the things that I am not content with. The things that I am telling Him I want to change are the things keeping me from worshipping my savior because I am too focused on the things He "isn't changing". So on my run I immediately switched my spotify playlist to a praise and worship playlist from my "training day" playlist. On my drive to run errands I was still listening to this playlist when God spoke over the lyrics and said,
Y'all, that hit me hard. Almost in tears I called my best friend, who is struggling with the same thing and shared the word God had given me.
As I sat at lunch and listened to two girls in their early twenties complain about how their boyfriends hadn't proposed yet and that they paint their nails every week in preparation for a ring I now realize that we are ALL discontent with our situations.
When I was in Vegas I couldn't wait to move. When Ross was in Cape I couldn't wait for him to move here. Now I have what I wanted then I am still not content, but now I want more. In all of this wanting and desiring are we pursuing Christ and what HE wants for our lives? Or are we so selfish to think that all that matters to Him is what we complain the most about. Does any of this mean we cannot dream and be excited about what may be in the future? No, of course that isn't what it means. All that He wants in this is for us to find our contentment in Him. He longs for our happiness to be found in HIM alone, not what He can do to get us what we want. That isn't who our God is.
People think that Psalm 37 means that"if I trust that God will give me what I want the most, thats what he will give me." That isn't at all what this means. This verse means that when you truly trust God, and your heart is in a place to desire for yourself whatever it is that God desires for you, THEN He will give you the desires of your heart because they are the desires of HIS heart. Your heart must change to desire for your life whatever God desires for it.
It isn't about us people. It never has been. It is about Him. Living our lives to bring Glory to our God.
On my puny run today God really spoke to me about my heart to pursue Him. Honestly, I have not spent much, if any time pursuing Christ lately. I have been distracted by the things that I am not content with. The things that I am telling Him I want to change are the things keeping me from worshipping my savior because I am too focused on the things He "isn't changing". So on my run I immediately switched my spotify playlist to a praise and worship playlist from my "training day" playlist. On my drive to run errands I was still listening to this playlist when God spoke over the lyrics and said,
"Be Content."
Y'all, that hit me hard. Almost in tears I called my best friend, who is struggling with the same thing and shared the word God had given me.
As I sat at lunch and listened to two girls in their early twenties complain about how their boyfriends hadn't proposed yet and that they paint their nails every week in preparation for a ring I now realize that we are ALL discontent with our situations.
When I was in Vegas I couldn't wait to move. When Ross was in Cape I couldn't wait for him to move here. Now I have what I wanted then I am still not content, but now I want more. In all of this wanting and desiring are we pursuing Christ and what HE wants for our lives? Or are we so selfish to think that all that matters to Him is what we complain the most about. Does any of this mean we cannot dream and be excited about what may be in the future? No, of course that isn't what it means. All that He wants in this is for us to find our contentment in Him. He longs for our happiness to be found in HIM alone, not what He can do to get us what we want. That isn't who our God is.
People think that Psalm 37 means that"if I trust that God will give me what I want the most, thats what he will give me." That isn't at all what this means. This verse means that when you truly trust God, and your heart is in a place to desire for yourself whatever it is that God desires for you, THEN He will give you the desires of your heart because they are the desires of HIS heart. Your heart must change to desire for your life whatever God desires for it.
Comments
Post a Comment